2015 FIAC Bookmark
雕刻版燙金 / Micro Embossing
樣本由法國設計工作室Akatre為2015年FIAC（世界第五大當代藝術展覽－巴黎）目錄設計的書籤。採用h+m製造的模具和Kurz生產的熱燙錫，在Curious Matter 270g雙面紙上完成雕刻版燙金。
The sample is a bookmark designed by French design studio Akatre for the (world’s 5th largest Contemporary Art exhibition in paris) catalogue for 2015. The Curious Matter 270g duplex has been micro-embossing using dies from h+m and foils from Kurz.
Micro-structure,micro-embossing,micro-etched hot foil stamping…all designate a type of hot foil stamping in which a very fine texture is engraved into the die, without requiring a counter-part.Once applied to a metallised hot sampling foil, the texture, which is usually made of microscopic lines at different angles, creates visual effects through the diffraction of light.
- DO privilege smoother papers.Micro embossing does not use counter dies, and the textured effect is very thin down to 0.03mm.In order for the effect to be visible, the paper should therefore be quite smooth.
- DO associate micro-embossing with metallic foils rather than matt or satin foils.The reflective effect of the micropattern will be all the more dazzling and 3D like.
- DO consider using standard micro patterns within your design.Die manufacturers like h+m can integrate one of their standard micropatterns to the shape of your choice, including typography if the letters are bold enough for the pattern to show.
- DO proceed with some tests to ensure the foil sets properly on the paper.Some tiny gaps could appear in the foil if pressure is not set correctly, which can create an unpleasant speckled effect, especially visible with darker papers.
- DO think of combining on the same die micro-embossing motives with embossing designs.
Because micro embossing is all about very fine details, it is a precise process requiring much attention and care.
- DON’T go for cheaper, magnesium dies.Since micro embossing is characterized by very precise details, more robust brass dies are more appropriate.
- DON’T choose papers with a weight lower than 135g.
- DON’T expect quick lead times.As micro-embossing dies are produced on special CNC engraving machines (computer numerical control machines), some motives can take up to 50 hours to be engraved, depending on the motive and its dimensions.
- DON’T emboss the paper after applying the micro-structured foil if you choose to combine both techniques.The pressure applied while embossing the paper could damage the texture created on the foil.The solution is to combine both the micro-embossing and the embossing designs on the same die.
- DON’T limit micro-embossing to greeting cards and brochure covers.In particular,micro-embossing can bring an eye-catching wow factor to luxurious packaging and labels.
- DON’T design two-sided micro-embossing.Although possible in theory, it is most likely that hot foil stamping the second side will damage the first side.